187 – How to Accurately Interpret the Bible for Yourself What It Says, What It Means, How It Applies
Written by Patrick Morley
Tuesday, July 20 2010 00:00
What’s the first thing we do when you read a Bible verse? It’s the same thing we do when we look at a picture. We look for ourselves! We ask, “How does this apply to my world?”
The answer? That depends on what it meant then, and what it means now. How do we find that out?
The Bible wants to be interpreted. The purpose of this article is to equip you with a worksheet so you can take a text and…
- Figure out what the author originally meant,
- Discover the timeless message it has for us today, and
- Personally apply the text in order to lead a more powerful life in Christ.
Suggestion: Read the bolded parts first. That will give you the big picture. Then start over and read everything together. There’s an abbreviated example at the end.
- True advice from #IntelligentInvestor "As Graham liked to say, in the short run the market is a voting machine... amzn.com/k/7gymS5czS2ep… 2 years ago
- Need help with Father's day - here's a helpful video. youtube.com/watch?v=cngiEk… 4 years ago
- HP takes $8.8 Billion Charge. Another black eye for auditors. Proves my point that classification matters, even in P&L. bloom.bg/TNVayZ 5 years ago
- Listening to @jonbauer singing at Camp Caroline. Cloud break stopped show unexpectedly. All save and back in side. 5 years ago
- RIM's bleak outlook n24.cm/L0LRKV (Sent via News24 BlackBerry app) 5 years ago
- RT @Ligonier: People who don't believe that prayer matters, or that prayer works, are people who simply don't pray. —R.C. Sproul 5 years ago
- RT @JohnPiper: Every victory you've ever known. "Not by your own sword did you win the land, but by God's right hand and his arm." Psa. 44:3 5 years ago
- RT @desiringgod: John Piper: "The fight for joy is the struggle to trust God with the burdens of life. It’s a fight for freedom from worry." 5 years ago
- Africa sitting on groundwater reserves n24.cm/I6ITpi (Sent via News24 BlackBerry app) 5 years ago
- Appreciation of Truth is Not Application of Truth wp.me/pUsAL-fX via @wordpressdotcom 5 years ago